The Legal Diva

Tales from the glamorous life I lead as a family law attorney.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Jersey, United States

Gorgeous, intelligent, personable attorney.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Why We are the Way We are

Lawyers have earned themselves a bad reputation. We are perceived as money grubbing ambulance chasers who would turn in our own grandmas for a buck. There are many lawyers I know who I felt deserved this reputation, many who didn't. After the month I have had, I see how lawyers can become this way.
My friend who I was helping out with a false domestic violence charge committed suicide. A long time client just discovered that her husband has been molesting her children. Another client's ex-husband decided to take the kids for a spin while totally skunk drunk, luckily no one was hurt. In total disregard of the law, a DYFS worker showed one of my clients her entire file which sparked off a huge series of incidents. The son of one of my clients informed her today that she will never see her grandchildren again because she took her grandchildren to have photos taken but not his girlfriend's child, they've been dating 6 months. Another client's girlfriend has been harassing the mother of his children so badly that he may now lose custody of the children.
Day after day I listen to these stories and try to help the people deal with it all. I spend hours calming people down and counseling them. I can see how after awhile it would be easy to shut down and not allow yourself to be effected by all this. To practice law with an eye towards the financial benefits and the win/loss columns. Hence, another low-down dirty scum-sucking lawyer is born.
I can see how easy it would be. I hope I never get to that point. I hope that I can blog away the pain of it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home